Friday, January 21, 2011

If Music Be The Food of Love, Play On!


The past two days have been well...normal days.

I've fallen into a routine pattern. I do the same thing every morning, workout!!! haha I love it though. This weeks ending weight is 220lbs which is great !!! I have a football players body, because I played football all the way through High School and since I've been working out that form of body is beginning to come back, but this time with more definition and for the first time ever...CUTS!!! I'm really staying on top of it. I'm determined to be "cut" and defined but anything outrageous.

Twelfth Night rehearsal have been SO AWESOME thus far. Robert Davis a professor of theatre in acting and voice and speech at the Hartt School of Music and Dance has come in to help out with our production. He is a designated Linklater Voice Teacher with more than 20 years experience as a professional actor, director and voice coach. He's worked with regional theatres across the country including Shakespeare Company, the Yale Repertory Theatre, the Colorado Shakespeare Festival, the Shakespeare Festival at Tulane, The Monomoy Theatre and Swine Palace Productions. He's amazing. Yesterday was our first rehearsal with him and it was great. He told us that it's not about getting the words right, it's about making the words come alive. He made us aware of your bodies and how the words should come from our entire body. We did some neat Linklater vocal warm-ups that I hadn't tried before, and I liked these a lot. They were great for me and I'll be using these techniques more often.

Today's rehearsal was more of the same thing except we took 5 lines from one of our monologues and wrote them out on paper and then cut out every word and placed the word on our chest and with each word with had to say it in many variations and till it resounded in out entire bodies, then we walked around the space and said out lines and froze, then one at a time he would point at us and we would repeat out lines in front of the whole company and they would watch you as you did it. My line was "His life I gave him and thereto add my love, without retention or restraint, all his in dedication; for his sake did I expose myself, pure for his love." In between part of my speech I froze and my emotions literally SMACKED THE SHIT OUT OF ME. It hit me that Antonio really does love Sebastian. He exposed his love for him in front of everyone and that's bravery. Antonio is the outsider in this troupe of players and he is dealing with a sense of awareness and something taboo that's really not addressed the rest of the play...and that's DEEEEEEP. I almost shed a tear.

I'm really getting a keen sense of my character and I haven't had a process like this since Macbeth...and I've been wanting a character that I would have to find a bit of myself in, and still have a lot to explore. I've been given a challenge and I love it.

So far this half of the internship has been cool and I'm not sweating the small or insignificant stuff around here. Leave the bullshit for others. I'm focusing on bettering myself as a person and as a actor. This is Actor Boot Camp...plus I got a pocket full of dreams and I'm going to fulfill them.

Well g2g PEACE

P.S.
Today was a Two Sister's kind of day....I'm still full ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment