So I'm officially wrapping up my Thursday even thought I'm writting this in the wee hours of an early friday morning.
Today was really a trying day for me at work today. There was a foul presence in the air and it was hanging like a cloud over the rehearsal for "The Sword in The Stone" today was actually our very first day of trying to run the show off book....of course it was a disaster. I called from the start of the run. It happens. Well what made things worse was the complete disrespct for others while they were working the show. I'm the fight choreographer for this show Romeo & Juliet, and hopefully Twelfth Night...while doing the fight choreography I remained professional to my actors the whole time while they were doing there thing...I believe that if you want something from an actor you have to know each individual actors buttons...everyone is different and one method that you might have used before to get something out of one particular actor you might not get from another actor. Needless to say a few people in the room during the run of the show pulled a stunt that I noticed very quickly...and you know a piece of me wanted to stop what I was doing and reprimand them for there unproffesional and utterly disrepectful behavior....but I didn't because it wasn't my place. I wait till I could mentally cool off and I went and spoke to Chris about what I saw and how I think it should be handled before anyone loses there cool.
The stage is a sacred place...no matter where it happens to be. When I step on that stage I'm there to take direction, and further more learn and better my skill at what I'm doing. It is not the place for people to roll there eyes and speak under there breaths, or reprimand each other in condensinding manners. Thus far I feel like the interns as a whole could do A LOT better individually. After these last three days I've realized that some people are feeling like this is some type of competition..they argue over what games we should do for the kids, whose idea is better. We have SO many damn chiefs but no indians. When we should be working as a TEAM..we are to busy trying to do what's best for ourselves and what makes a look good and that's NOT what this is about at all.
I was laughing to myself today and I said to myself that not ONE person in this group is better than anyone else. Nobody in this group is hot shit..because if you were you wouldn't be interning in Jackson, Mississippi. People need to press the "reset" button re-evaluate what's going on here and what we should be doing. I've gone throught some shit in life and some have had it pretty easy...I'm a humble person and I hate to boast about anything... When I see people do that I see that as a sign of flaw or weakness in them. I feel when you're get at something then there is no need for you to boast...your work should ALWAYS speak for itself.
I really hope today after my discussion with the my boss that things get better...because they have too.
Red, White, and Tuna dress rehearsal was going well today until Act 2. For some reason that's where the wardrobe fuck ups happened...oh well. Even there I noticed people trying to dictate there power when they had no business doing that..this all goes back to why things are the way they are with the interns. Order need to be restored..and the proffesionalism need to return. I'm looking at everything as a growing experience dealing with my co-workers, and teachers, and directors. This is all setting me up to prepare for something bigger.
Well I just finished looking at my lines for The Sword in The Stone and I've got two more shows to look at...and I though homeword stopped after college :)
Well g2g PEACE
P.S.
Teamwork is the ability to work together toward a common vision. The ability to direct individual accomplishments toward organizational objectives. It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results. -Andrew Carnegie
No comments:
Post a Comment